Death of a Superhero

A Family's Story about Courage, Bravery and the Defining Moments of LOVE

Our sweet, lil' baby love lost his battle to AML Leukemia on March 8, 2010. We fought long, hard and very aggressively for 2.5 years, only to have his cancer come back for the fourth time to finally take his life. He was only 3 years old.

This entire blog is about Hunter's amazing journey. It's about his life and his love......his determination and his courage.......his absolutely, brilliant personality, and the affect he's had on people all over the world.

He's left an unimaginable footprint on this earth and has changed the lives of thousands of individuals. People who didn't realize how precious life was, now live it with extreme gratefulness. People who took every minute they get to spend with their children for granted, now savor every last second. And people who weren't quite sure what love is all about, now love deeper, love stronger and love with every ounce of their soul.

People all around the world have shared their love, their well wishes, their prayers and their inspiration, and we could have NEVER achieved as much as we did without them. We are humbled by their generosity & their true friendships & are forever grateful for every last person that has come into our lives through our experience with Hunter. He was our precious baby love who we loved and cherished with all our hearts and we are forever crushed and terribly, broken-hearted.

Dance in the clouds baby cakes. Mom & dad are watching proudly & you will remain so very close to our hearts for all of eternity.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Hunter's Home !

Finally..............after 74 days, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and my birthday we were finally sent home. The new Oncologist has graciously given us a week to 10 days to be in our own surroundings before we have to go back for the 3rd round of chemo and another 30 days. Hunter's counts aren't exactly as high as they would like them to be before he should be allowed to go, but the Doc felt as if we've been there long enough and Hunter's counts are pretty much moving in the right direction. He also feels as if Hunters progress will improve at a much quicker rate getting out of the environment of the hospital. Needless to say, at home, Hunter has only been still when he's sleeping. He's been speed crawling up and down the hallway a thousand times. He's dancing and wiggling, mostly on all fours, when music comes on. He's eating like a champ and he also took his first 4 solo steps!! We are almost exactly where we were back in the middle of October. Wow. That seems like a twilight zone long time ago.

Hunter is doing amazingly well. His spirits seem high and he appears to be really content now that we are back at the house. He's got that really wonderful twinkle back in his eye when he giggles, and he's giggling often. It's such a neat little giggle that we've missed for months. He's showered with kisses and attention and I don't think a moment goes by that we don't realize exactly how fortunate we are.

The hospital sent us home with his medication and supplies. We've had to give him his medicines twice a day through an oral syringe - he hates this. He completely knows the routine by now and it seems as if you ask him nicely enough, he'll do it. But he definitely does it begrudgingly. A home nurse came today to change his dressing for his central pic line that they just leave in his arm. He's not much of a fan of this either, but the nurse said he did a great job. The worse part is peeling back the mac daddy super glue tape they put over the bandage hole in his arm to keep it safe from infection. It makes him pretty mad and it's another time when he screams like a banshee. But he gets over it quick. We go on Wednesday to what they refer to as clinic and they'll do blood draws to see where his counts are and they'll check vitals and all the other good stuff. Based on where he is at is how they will determine when his body is ready for the next dose of poison. Three more rounds to go!!

This is Hunter standing up on our hospital room window sill on leaving day. He's was super agro active and as you see below.........he exhausted himself.

This is Hunter the night we arrived back at the house. He woke up from his nap and didn't stop until 11:30 that night.

Our little Hero.


Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Hunter! You are constantly in our hearts and prayers. So glad to see you are making such progress and have been given the opportunity to play and heal in your own home for a while. Kudos to the doctor! SMOOCHES and Snuggles for Hunter and much love to you and Zen!
Lou and Layni

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo happy for the three of you. Hunter looks GREAT! I hope you're all getting some wonderful rest in your own home! Matt