Death of a Superhero

A Family's Story about Courage, Bravery and the Defining Moments of LOVE

Our sweet, lil' baby love lost his battle to AML Leukemia on March 8, 2010. We fought long, hard and very aggressively for 2.5 years, only to have his cancer come back for the fourth time to finally take his life. He was only 3 years old.

This entire blog is about Hunter's amazing journey. It's about his life and his love......his determination and his courage.......his absolutely, brilliant personality, and the affect he's had on people all over the world.

He's left an unimaginable footprint on this earth and has changed the lives of thousands of individuals. People who didn't realize how precious life was, now live it with extreme gratefulness. People who took every minute they get to spend with their children for granted, now savor every last second. And people who weren't quite sure what love is all about, now love deeper, love stronger and love with every ounce of their soul.

People all around the world have shared their love, their well wishes, their prayers and their inspiration, and we could have NEVER achieved as much as we did without them. We are humbled by their generosity & their true friendships & are forever grateful for every last person that has come into our lives through our experience with Hunter. He was our precious baby love who we loved and cherished with all our hearts and we are forever crushed and terribly, broken-hearted.

Dance in the clouds baby cakes. Mom & dad are watching proudly & you will remain so very close to our hearts for all of eternity.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Goodbye Home Sweet Home

Hunter had clinic on Wednesday and we got the news that his body is ready for the 3rd dose of chemo. His white blood cells and platelet counts had gone way up since we’ve left the hospital and the Oncologist said that the progress he made while at home was amazing.

We’ve been home for 9 days and it’s been absolutely lovely. It was almost like moving back into a mansion. Our house is HUGE compared to the one bedroom dorm room we had back at the hospital. We’ve cooked delicious food, laid around on our couches, unpacked 21 hospital bags, did 11 loads of laundry, organized the house, caught up on work, cleaned up lots of dust bunnies, had friends over, and just enjoyed ourselves away.

We were of course thrilled when we were told Hunter is doing so fantastic. However, we are definitely not looking forward to going back to Hospital living. By the time we left the hospital on February 1st we had our own room, (which meant our own bathroom….which is sooooo appreciated), a bed AND a crib, (you are only allowed one at a time), 3 rolling tables, (we started out with none – those were a hot item.......we traded Hunter’s pudding), two rolling dressers, and 16 pillows. Then in the 74 days that we had been there, we had also moved in two tempurpedic mattresses, a printer/fax/copier, speakers and a receiver, our two laptops, two office file boxes and a bunch more sh#t. Now we’ll have to start again from scratch. Bummer. However we are showing up on admission day with freshly made gourmet rice crispy treats to slide towards the nurses to get our amenities back as soon as possible. Usually works.

Below is Zen moving our stuff out of our hospital room when they sent us home. That was 2 of 8 wagon loads to the car. Not the most fun he's had - but still did it with a smile on his face!

We go in tomorrow at 6am for his bone marrow surgery, which they do after every round to see how successful his body is taking to the treatment. Last test conducted they found 2% of leukemic cells in his body – down from around 48% when we originally started the chemo back in December. They will also stick another dose of chemo in his spine for preventive measures and also run some more blood tests. We usually get preliminary results back sometime in the afternoon. The Doctor said that we can plan on Tuesday morning to move back into the hospital for another 30 day stint.

Hunter looks stronger than ever and he is truly going to be our hero for life. He's been so incredibly courageous and so well tempered and has grown up a tremoundous amount in these last three months. The family bond that has been created between the three of us is indestructible. Our bodies and minds have been challenged in a way like never before, and I think we've realized that life is truly survival of the fittest. We are half way done with treatment and will continue to charge on and live our extremely blessed life with our little man in the best and most enjoyable way we know how and never look back. He is our biggest inspiration.

No comments: