Death of a Superhero

A Family's Story about Courage, Bravery and the Defining Moments of LOVE

Our sweet, lil' baby love lost his battle to AML Leukemia on March 8, 2010. We fought long, hard and very aggressively for 2.5 years, only to have his cancer come back for the fourth time to finally take his life. He was only 3 years old.

This entire blog is about Hunter's amazing journey. It's about his life and his love......his determination and his courage.......his absolutely, brilliant personality, and the affect he's had on people all over the world.

He's left an unimaginable footprint on this earth and has changed the lives of thousands of individuals. People who didn't realize how precious life was, now live it with extreme gratefulness. People who took every minute they get to spend with their children for granted, now savor every last second. And people who weren't quite sure what love is all about, now love deeper, love stronger and love with every ounce of their soul.

People all around the world have shared their love, their well wishes, their prayers and their inspiration, and we could have NEVER achieved as much as we did without them. We are humbled by their generosity & their true friendships & are forever grateful for every last person that has come into our lives through our experience with Hunter. He was our precious baby love who we loved and cherished with all our hearts and we are forever crushed and terribly, broken-hearted.

Dance in the clouds baby cakes. Mom & dad are watching proudly & you will remain so very close to our hearts for all of eternity.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The feared Cat Scan results

Can't quite say we were expecting good news.........but we certainly weren't prepared for the news that was delivered.

Something has very aggressively taken over Hunter's left lung. His pneumonia started in his right lower lung and seemed to be dissipating. Well it didn't go away. Whatever it was has now spread over to the left side and is causing the doctors to be very troubled.

To get a blow like that was rough. Hunter has been on heavy duty antibiotics now for 18 days. It's supposed to go away......not spread.

His little body is working and pumping so hard - just to breathe.

The Cat Scan did a number of scans and shortly after the doctors gave us the preliminary results. They suggested a Bronchoscopy based on what they saw. Whatever it is that has moved in to Hunter's lungs could be a bacteria or a fungus or something viral and it needs to be examined a little closer. We were told that it most likely was NOT the cancer. So that was at least nice to hear.

They performed the surgery yesterday and it went well. With the help of the bronchoscopy they were able to go into his lungs and extract some of the foreign substance that is present. Sometimes it can take up to 5 days to fully examine it and watch it to see if something grows from it to determine exactly what it is.

Every surgery always poses risks, however, in Hunter's condition, it's become very dangerous and life threatening. Forms are signed and the procedures are explained - but there are never any promises. Normal protocol. Because of Hunter's inability to breathe on his own and the fact that his lungs are swollen and contaminated - he has to now be intubated. That basically means that they need to place a tube down his trachea to protect his airways and provide a means of ventilation. He stopped breathing on his own on one of his last surgeries and they had to immediately intubate him at that time to save his life. Now, without question, they intubate him at the very beginning.

Scared to death and the drama continues. We often joke, instead of just getting the flu.......Hunter gets cancer, instead of just a cold......Hunter gets an pneumonia, instead of the antibiotics working.........his condition gets worse. Everything is full throttle with this kid. So I imagine by the end.......he's going to beat the shit out of this cancer.

Hunter has just received the "Happy Juice" and is obviously eagerly awaiting the Cat Scan. Good fun.

Dad was smart enough to download Sesame Street onto his iphone. I can't imagine who wouldn't want the company of Bert and Ernie on the way to a procedure??

Still watching.

.....and still watching.

And when he can't hold it anymore - dad helps.

And finally after surgery - he's allowed to eat!! He ate more in that 10 minutes then he had eaten all week. He's obviously very pleased with himself.


SaraT said...


I am a friend of Theresa Harned (Hunter's former doctor) from the CHLA. I appreciate you sharing this blog and just want to say that i believe Hunter sure will fight hard and stay strong.

I am a member of Team in Training from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I participate in triathlons to fundraise money for LLS. Reading your blog about what Hunter, you, and your husband have to go through just makes every drop of my sweats and every dollar that i raised worth it. I give your family the best wishes and Hunter WILL be all right.


Anonymous said...

Lenore, I am so sorry you have to go through all of this, but like you said Hunter will beat the shit out of this cancer, he is a strong boy. My prayers are with you and positive thoughts always. I have my family praying for Hunter, and my friends...and even distant friends...through my blog. Stay strong.

XOXO~ Tara

Kat said...

All I can do is lift you up in prayer and that is what I am doing. Hunter has invaded my thoughts and my heart goes out to you and ALL that you have been through. Please give him a kiss for me. Keep fighting with everything you have...keep fighting!