Death of a Superhero

A Family's Story about Courage, Bravery and the Defining Moments of LOVE

Our sweet, lil' baby love lost his battle to AML Leukemia on March 8, 2010. We fought long, hard and very aggressively for 2.5 years, only to have his cancer come back for the fourth time to finally take his life. He was only 3 years old.

This entire blog is about Hunter's amazing journey. It's about his life and his love......his determination and his courage.......his absolutely, brilliant personality, and the affect he's had on people all over the world.

He's left an unimaginable footprint on this earth and has changed the lives of thousands of individuals. People who didn't realize how precious life was, now live it with extreme gratefulness. People who took every minute they get to spend with their children for granted, now savor every last second. And people who weren't quite sure what love is all about, now love deeper, love stronger and love with every ounce of their soul.

People all around the world have shared their love, their well wishes, their prayers and their inspiration, and we could have NEVER achieved as much as we did without them. We are humbled by their generosity & their true friendships & are forever grateful for every last person that has come into our lives through our experience with Hunter. He was our precious baby love who we loved and cherished with all our hearts and we are forever crushed and terribly, broken-hearted.

Dance in the clouds baby cakes. Mom & dad are watching proudly & you will remain so very close to our hearts for all of eternity.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Good News - Finally!

Hunter has been fever free for 3 days and nights! Whoo-hoo! What a relief.

Although fever free, yesterday morning he was so low energy and seemingly in so much pain that he didn't want to be touched. He would scream when we changed his diaper. He spent most of the morning refusing food. It was totally depressing and I watched Lenore crying over her baby in desperation as Hunter moaned. It was another low point for sure.

The doctors and nurses started discussing the possibility of giving Hunter a narcotic for the pain. I was resistant to that idea but I was also tired of seeing Hunter miserable. I didn't know what to do.

Then we saw a little blood coming from his nose. Not usually a good thing but what it did was start the doctors down the right road. They immediately ordered red blood and platelets.

I had a plan to go for a quick dirt bike ride in the afternoon to get a little exercise and to free my mind. I was reluctant to leave Hunter feeling so poor but I felt assured the doctors had things in control and that over-all, Hunter was stable. So I went anyway. It was honestly the first time in more than a month that I was able to stop thinking about Hunter's situation. I was starting to feel mentally and physically pent up and aggressive. Two hours of intense off-road riding with stunt man Clay Cullen and his stunt buddy Casey alleviated all of that frustration. I felt like a new man. Thanks fellas!

When I returned to our hospital home I saw a different baby. He smiled as I walked in the room. He was eating. Lenore took a break and went to the grove to do a little Christmas shopping. I spent three or four hours alone with my boy - just playing and hanging out together. His lips were red again. His behavior was that of the old Hunter - happy and content! Although he still wasn't moving much on his own I could pick him up and he barley let out a protest. Truly, a relief. It feels so good to see our son again.

Thank goodness for life blood. Thank goodness for modern science. We are so fortunate to be dealing with this disease at this time in the modern World. For that we are eternally thankful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great news indeed! Hunter is amazing, and so are his parents!